It’s Australia Day and it’s a great Australian tradition to spend the day on a few Aussie pursuits – cricket, having a barbie and relaxing in the hammock. Try adding our quiz into the list of Aussie things you have a go at this year. Questions have been sourced from some great Australian sites such as the National Australia Day Council’s website, with a few thrown in by our NVI staff!
Answers at the bottom of the page.
1. Let’s start with an easy one. Where is the Big Prawn?
2. What is the floral emblem of Australia?
3. Which Queensland city, famous for its sun and surf, was known as Elston until 1933?
4. Who was the most recent Australian to win the men’s singles title at Wimbledon?
5. Name one of the people on the current issue $100 note?
6. What town is known as the Koala Capital of the World?
7. What is the common name of the Ornithorhynchus anatinus?
8. Where did Banjo Paterson write the words to Waltzing Matilda?
9. What was the name of the grocer played by comedian Mark Mitchell on television’s The Comedy Company?
10. How many overs does it take to bowl 26 balls?
11. What natural disaster killed 13 people in Newcastle on December 28, 1989?
12. In what year was Miranda Kerr born?
13. Australians hold the world record for which amazing feat? a) fastest beer bottle opening; b) largest Christmas cracker; c) most sheep sheared in 24 hours; d) largest chicken dance?
14. What is Australia’s largest inland city?
15. Which horse won the Melbourne Cup in 2014?
16. According to ARIA certifications, what is the best-selling album of all time in Australia?
17. Which of the following are Australian inventions? a) the black box flight recorder; b) the bionic ear; c) the refrigerator; d) the Hills Hoist clothesline; e) all of the above.
18. What outback town’s population swells from 120 to crowds of more than 5000 for a horse racing carnival?
19. What was Sir Donald Bradman’s batting average?
20. What is Australia’s largest native bird?
21. What is golfer Greg Norman’s nickname?
22. Who designed the Sydney Opera House?
23. Is Australia’s highest mountain Mt Kosciusko: a) 1832m high; b) 2228m high; or c) 3427m high?
24. How many times has Queen Elizabeth visited Australia?
25. In rhyming slang, what is a dog’s eye?
26. Who won consecutive Gold Logies from 1997 to 2000?
27. Where is the Dog on the Tuckerbox monument?
28. How many players are there in an Australian Rules team?
29. How many ships were in the First Fleet?
30. What is Australia’s most easterly point?
31. Who was Australian of the Year in 2014?
32. What is the highest grossing Australian film of all time?
33. What do you call a group of lyrebirds?
34. What year did Cyclone Tracy hit Darwin?
35. How many albums did the late Slim Dusty record?
36. Who was the first Australian to win the Booker Prize?
37. What is the largest lake in Australia?
38. In what year was decimal currency introduced?
39. Which comedian was known as the “Little Aussie Bleeder”?
40. What year was the controversial dismissal of the Whitlam government?
41. Who is the longest serving presenter of Playschool?
42. Which Aussie band led to the formation of the Wiggles?
43. What is Kylie Minogue’s nickname?
44. What is Australia’s longest running TV show?
45. Who was the first Aboriginal Australian to win an Olympic gold medal?
46. In what state or territory was the highest recorded temperature of 53 degrees recorded?
47. What is the second largest city in NSW?
48. How many toes does an emu have?
49. How many gold medals did Australians win at the 2002 Winter Olympic Games?
50. Which singer released the album Physical in 1981?
51. Which actor has had leading roles in Phar Lap, The Man from Snowy River and Eureka Stockade?
52. Which prime minister issued a public apology to members of the Stolen Generations on behalf of the Australian government?
53. How much of Australia is classfied as desert: a) 8%; b) 16%; c) 25%; d) 35%?
54. What is Australia’s largest non-salt lake?
55. Who are the actors who play Kath and Kim?
56. Who is the only person to have been awarded both the Australian of the Year and the Young Australian of the Year titles?
57. Who was the racehorse known as the Goondiwindi Grey?
58. In what year did Canberra’s “new” Parliament House open?
59. What animal featured on the 2c coin?
60. Who wrote Cloudstreet?
61. Cate Blanchett has received an Academy Award nomination for what movie?
62. What did the “A.B.” stand for in poet A. B. Banjo Paterson’s name?
63. What is the tallest waterfall in Australia?
64. Which of the following is not an Australian innovation? a) Chiko Roll; b) lawn sprinkler; c) plastic bank notes; d) dual flush toilet; e) wine cask?
65. What is Australia’s fastest train?
3. Surfers Paradise
4. Lleyton Hewitt
5. Dame Nellie Melba and Sir John Monash
9. Con the Fruiterer
11. An earthquake
13. b) largest Christmas cracker
16. Bat Out of Hell, by Meatloaf, (it is followed by Whispering Jack, by John Farnham)
17. e) all of the above
19. 99.94, but 100 would be close enough!
20. The emu
21. The Great White Shark
22. Joern Utzon
23. b) 2228m high
24. 16. She is the only reigning monarch of Australia to have set foot on Australian soil
25. A pie
26. Lisa McCune
27. Snake Gully, 8km from Gundagai, NSW
30. Cape Byron, Byron Bay.
31. AFL player and community leader Adam Goodes
32. Crocodile Dundee
33. A musket
36. Thomas Keneally
37. Lake Eyre, which is 144 km long and 77 km wide
39. Norman Gunston
40. November 11, 1975
42. The Cockroaches
43. The Singing Budgie
44. Four Corners, 53 years
45. Nova Peris
49. Two – Steven Bradbury and Alisa Camplin
50. Olivia Newton-John
51. Tom Burlinson
52. Kevin Rudd on February 13, 2008
53. d) 35%
54. Lake Mackay, Western Australia
55. Jane Turner and Gina Riley
56. Cathy Freeman
59. The frilled neck lizard
60. Tim Winton
62. Andrew Barton
63. Wallaman Falls, in Queensland
64. b) lawn sprinkler
65. The Tilt Train, which travels between Brisbane and Cairns at speeds of up to 160km an hour.
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on 苏州美甲美睫培训学校.