Finals hopes kept alive

PACE. Barham/Koondrook’s Lee Solar prepared to bowl during the Northern District Cricket Association A Grade match against Nondies.

BARHAM/KOONDROOK’S hopes to play in next month’s Northern District Cricket Association A Grade final series received another boost at the weekend, with results falling the border side’s way.

The fifth-place side recorded a two-wicket win against third-placed Nondies, whilst Cohuna United lost to ladder leaders, Leitchville/Gunbower by 84 runs.

Going into the match knowing a loss would all but end their finals hopes, Barham/Koondrook applied pressure to Nondies’ batsmen with the ball.

Apart from a 71-run third-wicket stand between Jack O’Shea (47 runs) and Josh Novoselek (29), the home side fell for 130 in the 40th over, with Mick O’Toole claiming three wickets.

The border side was 3/34 at one stage during its reply, but a well-timed 22 from Paul Molin helped steady the innings.

Another min-collapse left the visitors at 6/76, before Dylan Robinson (24) and Matthew Thomas (16) combined for a 48-run seventh wicket stand that set up the win.

Brandon Keely was the pick of the Nondies bowlers, claiming three wickets.

Across at Gunbower, the home side dominated against Cohuna United, recording an 84-run win.

Batting first, Casey McNaught (83 not out), Brad Windridge (63), Jackson McEwen (54 not out) and Kurt Brereton (54) helped the home side record 2/272 off its 45 overs.

United batted steadily in its rely, with Dan Cooke scoring 84 and Ian Mathers hitting 45 as the visitors finished at 7/188 off its 45 overs. Adam Deccico was the pick of Leitchville/Gunbower’s bowlers, claiming four wickets.

The result of these two games leaves Barham/Koondrook three points behind fourth-placed Cohuna United, whilst Nondies lost ground to second-placed Wandella, which recorded a 10-wicket win against the winless Kerang Fairley Town.

Despite the best efforts of Daniel Higgs (31), Laine Gibbons (23) and Benet Gibbons (13), Kerang Fairley Town fell for 91 in the 23rd over.

Peter Moore took six wickets for the Bombers, with Nick Farley and Mick Bott snaring two wicket each.

It took Kerang Fairley Town until near the end of the innings to claim its first scalp, with Michael Runciman (108) and Brent McKnight (115) combining for a 226-run opening wicket partnership.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on 老域名.

Comments are closed.